Monday, July 29, 2013

Acoustic Control 1981 Model G100T/ Model 160 100 watt tube head at GC in Kenwood MI for $149




I spotted this Acoustic Control tube guitar head on the Guitar Center website and was surprised they were offering it for only $149.99.  These usually sell in the $300-$500 range and are much-loved by their owners.  This was Acoustics version of the Mesa-Boogie head and it has the switchable 5 band EQ along with a quartet of 6L6GT power tubes and three 12AX7's in the preamp.  Well built amplifiers that were made in Van Nuys CA prior to Acoustic closing their USA operations in the mid 1980's.

 Note that they have it listed as a Model 250 which IK have seen references to but have never seen an actual photo of, but from everything I can see in the pic on the GC site it is identical to the 1981 model 160.  I don't know what the difference would be between the two so keep that in mind if you are considering buying this.

I posted some pics that I took from another website that show the guts and tube layout of the Model 160 below the GC listing.

I called and talked to the sales rep at GC on this one and he said the amp looks good and works fine except that the button that switches between channel 1 and channel 2 is not working - it is stuck on channel 2 - which should still give you access to all the features - and I would suppose the switch just needs to be replaced after 30+ years.    I asked him for a shipping quote to give you an idea of what this will cost to your door and I will post that when he sends it to me.  - JC


*************************


109345054
GUITAR AMP
USED ACOUSTIC TUBE AMP MODEL 250 072813

Amps
Guitar Center Grand Rapids
Kentwood, Michigan  49512
616-464-0000
View Store's Used Inventory






































































 
 
 
r a  


2 comments:

  1. I bought this and it's great, needs a little attention, but it arrived with 4 us made phillips 6L6s, and all us made GE preamp tubes as well. Great score, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seth: That is great. Those old USA tubes seem to last forever. I have some 6550's that are over 50 years old and still kicking ass - you scored a nice amp for a great price. - JC

      Delete

I appreciate your comments but please no commercial links or non guitar related conversations. Thank you. - JC

IMPORTANT NOTE TO ALL READERS

I am reposting items here that are listed on CRAIGSLIST throughout the USA. I am not selling any of these items and I cannot facilitate the sale of anything here - so please do not comment or post questions like "Is this still available?" or "I am interested in your guitar please call me, etc." You need to contact the seller directly by calling the phone number listed on the post or by going to the CL listing and emailing them. NEW FEATURE: Click on the title of the CL Listing inside my post to LINK thru to the original Post. If the original CL listing is deleted the item most likely is no longer available. Thanks for checking out my blog and GOOD LUCK!



Please don't call, contact, bother or harass these sellers long after their post is expired. Take for granted if the listing is over 30 days old that the guitar or amp is LONG GONE! Thank you.