Monday, October 22, 2012

Rare 1950's PARAMOUNT Electric on eBay

This seller is offering a rare bird.  A PARAMOUNT brand guitar that appears to be have been made by harmony, Kay or Regal.   Unusual combination of features the strangest of which is the 16-fret to the body neck.  I have seen many 12, 14 and 15 fret to the body guitars but this is the first hollow body I can recall with 16.  The body shape resembles a Kay Swingmaster while the hardware is decidedly Harmony Chicago.  Those pickups are something new to me - overall some very unique features here.

Not to send any collectors into undue conniptions but that case strikes a resemblance to a 1950's Gibson Les Paul Junior case - it would be the first time I've ever seen a Harmony made case with fur lining from this period. 

Anyone who knows more about this particular model feel free to chime in.  As far as i know PARAMOUNT was a banjo company - part of the 1930's Golden Era - who like Deering experimented with the occasional guitar but mostly through outsourced manufacture. - JC

************************************* 








VINTAGE 50's 60's PARAMOUNT HARMONY MAR*TIN DeARMOND ARCHTOP GUITAR nice!


This guitar is well over 50 years old. Is this a Harmony? Not sure. Martin made Paramount guitars early on. It has been sitting unused for more then 25 years. Selling just the way I found it. Neck is straight (action low). Made in USA in the 50's I think. Very little in the way of scuffs & scratches.  Electronics working well. Knobs & pick ups (DeArmond?) working. This guitar can use new strings and a good cleaning.  A Fabulous find. I real pleasure to play. Big warm sound out of these pick ups. No issues, still selling "as is".  Sold as found. Looks like the pickguard, screw on pickup & strap button are missing. What looks like the original case (poor shape. top detached). Will pack well with 3 layers of thick bubble wrap.

4 comments:

  1. I've also seen those guitars labeled as Orpheum. A friend of mine had one and it was a great guitar. I have a pair of those pickups that I'm trying to decide what to do with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jim... what did you ever find out about that Paramount? I have a parlor acoustic with the same badge. It's so gard to find info on these.

      Delete
  2. That may well be my guitar. I started lessons at 8 years old (I was born in 1954) and that was my first "real guitar". The case lid is off the hinges just like mine was! Too bad I missed the listing, I would have loved to buy it for sentimental reasons. I've been playing professionally for over 60 years now and it would be a kick to have that hanging on my wall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. holy cow!! that was my first guitar! I think that is the actual instrument! It was my first "real" guitar after I started lessons at 8 years old. Now, after playing professionally for almost 60 years it would have been a real treat to buy it back! My case had the lid off the hinges too as well as that missing screw!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments but please no commercial links or non guitar related conversations. Thank you. - JC

IMPORTANT NOTE TO ALL READERS

I am reposting items here that are listed on CRAIGSLIST throughout the USA. I am not selling any of these items and I cannot facilitate the sale of anything here - so please do not comment or post questions like "Is this still available?" or "I am interested in your guitar please call me, etc." You need to contact the seller directly by calling the phone number listed on the post or by going to the CL listing and emailing them. NEW FEATURE: Click on the title of the CL Listing inside my post to LINK thru to the original Post. If the original CL listing is deleted the item most likely is no longer available. Thanks for checking out my blog and GOOD LUCK!



Please don't call, contact, bother or harass these sellers long after their post is expired. Take for granted if the listing is over 30 days old that the guitar or amp is LONG GONE! Thank you.