Friday, April 13, 2012

Vox 1964-65 Shadow (aka Dominator) Made in England electric in Vegas for $600

You don't see many of these JMI Vox electrics on this side of the pond because they were student models and were designed more for the British market than for the US.

This seller's guitar is clearly a Vox "Shadow." You can see the model name on the headstock right next to the JMI mark. This was the 3 pickup version of the Clubman or Consort. They were usually red because they were copies of Hank Marvin's Red Fender Stratocaster so the Sunburst is a nice switch. Never as popular or widely distributed as Vox's Italian made electric guitars these guitar bodies were made by a local furniture manufacturer in England and the necks, electronics, hardware and assembly were all handled at the JMI plant in Dartford, Kent England.

These are not generally known as great players but they are highly collectible if you are a serious Vox completeist. Check it out:

***************************








Vox electric guitar w/ whammy bar - $1 (Flamingo * Jones)


Date: 2012-04-13, 8:25AM PDT
Reply to: see below [Errors when replying to ads?]

1960's Vox electric guitar with a whammy bar for sale. Was just appraised at $750-$850 as is.
Needs a little work, strings were just replaced. Tone controls all work. I'm asking $600 obo.
Serious inquires only. 702-***-****

Make an offer....might trade. Let me know what you have

2 comments:

  1. I own 3 of these, and have not paid more than $150 for each. Mine are not in as good condition or anything, but two of them I bought on Ebay within the last year. The pickups in these are fantastic, everything else is junk. If you can find one cheap, buy it and put the pickups in anything else. In this condition, only a true Vox collector should even consider it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the info. I see these so rarely I couldn't guess as to the value - though I know the collectors tend to grab up the English made Vox's. I am all for keeping the cost of vintage guitars as low as possible. I just snagged a Vox Spitfire yesterday off eBay and only payed $225 for it - of course it looks like a previous owner repainted the whole thing with a paintbrush (!) But I've always wanted to have one, at least for a bit, so this was an easy way to do it on the cheap. Thanks for checking out my blog. - Jim C

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments but please no commercial links or non guitar related conversations. Thank you. - JC

IMPORTANT NOTE TO ALL READERS

I am reposting items here that are listed on CRAIGSLIST throughout the USA. I am not selling any of these items and I cannot facilitate the sale of anything here - so please do not comment or post questions like "Is this still available?" or "I am interested in your guitar please call me, etc." You need to contact the seller directly by calling the phone number listed on the post or by going to the CL listing and emailing them. NEW FEATURE: Click on the title of the CL Listing inside my post to LINK thru to the original Post. If the original CL listing is deleted the item most likely is no longer available. Thanks for checking out my blog and GOOD LUCK!



Please don't call, contact, bother or harass these sellers long after their post is expired. Take for granted if the listing is over 30 days old that the guitar or amp is LONG GONE! Thank you.