Thursday, April 26, 2012

Beautiful long unheard Nicky Hopkins Piano on "Following the River"

I've been sort of on an "Exile on Mainstreet" binge the last few days since I saw the incredible documentary "The Stones in Exile." It rekindled my hysterical adoration of everything the Stones accomplished during that insane period in their career. If you haven't seen this film and you have Netflix I highly recommend it - it is an instant view flic at the present time.

Anyway I stumbled onto this long unreleased Soul Ballad that the Stones finally put out in 2010 called "Following the River" and it includes some gorgeous Nicky Hopkins piano. For those of you who may not realize it, Nicky Hopkins was the greatest rock and roll piano player ever! Not only for his chops - which were gorgeous - but for his ability to inspire the other musicians around him to listen and to find the deep soulful groove in whatever song they were creating.



If you are just hearing his name for the first time here is a brief (though not complete) list of some of his piano work. I don't know if many people are aware that it was the same piano player performing on the Beatles' "Hey Jude," The Stone's "Angie" and Joe Cocker's "You Are So Beautiful."

Some of his credits:

The Beatles The Beatles - Revolution - Hey Jude -
The Rolling Stones - Loving Cup - Angie - 2000 Light years - She’s a Rainbow - Jumpin’ Jack Flash - Tumbling Dice - Waiting on a Friend - Sympathy for the Devil - Sway
The Kinks - Sunny Afternoon
Jeff Beck - Beck’s Bolero
Plastic Ono Band - Merry Christmas (War is Over) -
Ringo Star - Photograph
 George Harrison - Give Me Love  
Joe Cocker - You Are So Beautiful

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments but please no commercial links or non guitar related conversations. Thank you. - JC

IMPORTANT NOTE TO ALL READERS

I am reposting items here that are listed on CRAIGSLIST throughout the USA. I am not selling any of these items and I cannot facilitate the sale of anything here - so please do not comment or post questions like "Is this still available?" or "I am interested in your guitar please call me, etc." You need to contact the seller directly by calling the phone number listed on the post or by going to the CL listing and emailing them. NEW FEATURE: Click on the title of the CL Listing inside my post to LINK thru to the original Post. If the original CL listing is deleted the item most likely is no longer available. Thanks for checking out my blog and GOOD LUCK!



Please don't call, contact, bother or harass these sellers long after their post is expired. Take for granted if the listing is over 30 days old that the guitar or amp is LONG GONE! Thank you.