Thursday, November 11, 2010

Django Reinhardt plays Electric Guitar w/ Duke Ellington

Another slightly unusual post but I couldn't resist:

I've always respected Django Reinhardt as an influential guitarist but mostly for the quaint "Gypsy Style" acoustic Jazz on his pre-war recordings with Stefan Grapelli and The Hot Club Quartet. This recording changed my mind completely - he is a Guitar Monster period!

Apparently Duke Ellington met Django in Paris during the war and invited him to the USA to tour with his big band and when Django showed up without a guitar a friend took him to the Epiphone factory in New York City where he picked up this 1945 Epiphone Regent electric and an Electar amp. 

The results speak for themselves.

1 comment:

I appreciate your comments but please no commercial links or non guitar related conversations. Thank you. - JC

IMPORTANT NOTE TO ALL READERS

I am reposting items here that are listed on CRAIGSLIST throughout the USA. I am not selling any of these items and I cannot facilitate the sale of anything here - so please do not comment or post questions like "Is this still available?" or "I am interested in your guitar please call me, etc." You need to contact the seller directly by calling the phone number listed on the post or by going to the CL listing and emailing them. NEW FEATURE: Click on the title of the CL Listing inside my post to LINK thru to the original Post. If the original CL listing is deleted the item most likely is no longer available. Thanks for checking out my blog and GOOD LUCK!



Please don't call, contact, bother or harass these sellers long after their post is expired. Take for granted if the listing is over 30 days old that the guitar or amp is LONG GONE! Thank you.